March 24, 2010

Evening in Cuba

Evening in Cuba I, 7 x 10", watercolour
Evening in Cuba, II, 10 x 14", watercolour
One of the things with painting out of doors is that things do not stand still. People, waves, clouds, the sun (and thus shadows); everything is always moving. But on this evening I noticed something really neat. There was this dark dramatic band of clouds overhead which made me want to start painting right away, before it disappeared. I liked the way that the line of the cloud mirrored that of the coast, and I knew that I had only moments to catch it before it passed over the sun and blocked the light. I did the best that I could to get it right and then it had moved. But it passed over quickly and when I looked to the east I saw that there was another band of clouds coming in much the same manner. In total at least 3 or 4 of these lines of clouds passed overhead, making great skies for painting. This is another scene that I cannot wait to paint again soon.
Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Nice view. I see you really get into painting your subjects more than once. Something I need to start doing. Nice water, really says warm sunny beaches.

    ~Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your Cuba Beach paintings! Great skies on these.

    ReplyDelete