March 23, 2010

More Cuban Beach Paintings

Cloudy Cuban Morning II, 5 x 7 inches, watercolour
This is basically the same scene as the first one that I did. I repeated it to try to better capture that band of wet sand that happens where the waves wash up and then recede. This one still did not quite get the effect I wanted, so I tried again:
Cloudy Cuban Morning III, watercolour, 5 x 7"
(I am so original with my titles, eh?)
This time, I left out the wet sand to focus on some of the figures on the beach. It was a lovely beach for walking on and I could have done a lot more figure work. It is hard to paint a moving target... One of my goals for the coming year is to improve my plein air figures.

Cloudy Cuban Morning IV, 7 x 10", watercolour

I think that I had intended to add figures to this, but in the end decided that I was pleased with it as it was. I really like the lines of the beach in this one. The background trees developed as one of those happy accidents that one gets in watercolour painting. This is when something does not go at all as I had intended, but the end result is better than what I had been aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment