May 15, 2010

Plein Air at last!

Sand Hills Beach, 10 x 14", watercolour, May 12, 2010
Sand Hills Beach Provincial Park is 5 minutes or so outside of the community of Barrington, on the southern tip of Nova Scotia. The park is not yet open for the season, so I walked in from the highway to find the beach. It took about 10 minutes and was a pleasant walk. Overall, I had less than an hour to paint, but the conditions were wonderful. The sunlight was bright, there was a breeze, but not enough to blow my supplies away, and the view was magnificent.
I hope to get back there in the summer with the kids as the beach is long and very flat. Playing in the incoming tide would be a lot of fun. The sand is a very bright white colour, which is different from the grey or red found closer to home. It reminds me of New River Beach in New Brunswick. Trips to New River were always a highlight of my summer, growing up. That is probably why I still search out beaches and enjoy painting them. It lets me feel again like a kid on a beach in the summer, having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment