July 23, 2010

Plein Air in St Andrews, NB

I wanted to share the remainder of the plein air paintings from Artists by the Sea for Hospice.
Here then are some more.

Clearing Over St Andrews Wharf, 7 x 10", watercolour, July 10, 2010

After a wet and foggy start to the day it finally cleared in the afternoon.  The whale watching excursions that had been cancelled in the morning were able to sail.  This painting shows some of the many people who walk out along the wharf, to board a whale watching boat or maybe just to take in the sights.

On the Fly, 10 x 7", watercolour, July 10,2010

As I was working on the painting of the wharf, above, I kept an eye on the passage of water approaching the wharf.  There was not as much boat traffic as I had hoped, but then this sailboat come in from beyond Navy Island.  I grabbed a new peice of paper and sketched the boat and its crew directly while they drew nearer.  I managed to get the shadows painted on the sail before they sailed past the wharf.  When they came out past the wharf, the sail was down and they were preparing to moor.  I painted in the water and the background from what was around me and from memory.  I am very fond of this one, as it seems to me that this is what plein air is all about.  And the title seems especially apt as well.

Whale Watching, 7 x 10", watercolour, July 10, 2010

This is the last of the paintings that I made on Saturday.  The clearing clouds were making wonderful patterns in the sky, so I chose to paint the low cabins that house the whale watching operations that operate from the St Andrews waterfront.  This allowed me to try to capture the sky.

Sunday was a new day.

Sunday morning I started late as we had family visiting from far away and I did not want to run away to paint for a second day.  So I started at lunch time.  I went to the beautiful Kingsbrae Gardens and set up there just in time for it to begin truly raining!  So what I attempted to paint there is now on the back of a peice of scrap paper.  I moved down to the front street to try to paint in the rain.  The street was to busy to get a good view from the front of my car like I did the day before.  I set up under the awning of a local business and went to work.  (The business is Treasures and Trash, and the proprietress, Lola Boyles, was very kind and welcoming)

Water St in the Rain, 10 x 7", watercolour, July 11, 2010

You can see a big ugly clip in this one as it was in the way as I photographed it and I did not notice it.  When I set up it was just sprinkling but it soon turned into a down pour!  At first there were lots of tourists in summer clothes, shorts, tank tops, flip flops, but these soon disappeared to be replaced by folks in jackets and under umbrellas.  It is no fun having it rain on one's vacation!

The air was so wet that my paper was very reluctant to dry.  I started this next one and needed the paper to dry before I could proceed, so I actually took it inside Treasures and trash and tucked it under an antique bed to dry until I could keep going.

Man, It's Really Raining, 10 x 7", watercolour, July 11, 2010
I should have called it "Man, I am glad we packed these raincoats!"  but I did not think of it until later.

And here is the last one, I was getting pretty worn out by then, and cold, but am still fond of it.

Wet, 7 x 5", watercolor, July 11, 2010

Even though the weather was terrible for painting, I had a good weekend.  I hope that the Hospice was successful in their fundraiser, despite the weather.  If you can make it to the event next year, I would encourage you to go.

All the paintings in this post have been sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment