June 17, 2010

Flower Season

June is the month of spectacular blossoms here in Nova Scotia. Tulips and daffodils are followed by irises and lilacs. Now the peonies and roses are coming out, dramatically unveiling their curves and shapes in the warm sunshine. I have been happily photographing many of them, saving their images for quieter days when I can devote myself to painting them.
Right now the main focus of my free time is getting my vegetable garden ready to be ignored once the kids are done school. Everything is planted now, I think. My husband will laugh at this as I have been saying this for a week: "I finished planting everything today" When he heard this for the third or fourth time, he began to expect to hear it again the next day, too! I have mulched most of what has come up with old hay, to cut down on weeds and the need to water. I have quite a large vegetable patch as I like to be able to wander into the back yard and then decide what I am going to serve in the way of vegetables for supper. And even better when the kids come to the supper table with fresh vegetables that they have picked for themselves! (Dream on, mom!)
So, despite lovely flowers in my garden I have not done much painting of flowers or anything much else, but here are some blooms to tide you over.
Tree Peony Sketch, 5 x 7", watercolour
June 2010
Private Collection
Tree Peony Sketch II, watercolour, 5 x 7"
June 2010
The blossom pictured in the paintings above is a tree peony blossom. I did not actually grow this one, but I was given it in a bouquet. I hurried to photograph it and paint it before it faded. I want to do a much larger picture, as I have coveted tree peonies for years. Someday I will plant one in my garden, but until then, I shall have fun painting this one.
I shall have painting time in plenty this weekend, as I shall be attending the annual paint out of the Plein Air Painters of the Bay of Fundy in Saint John, NB. For more details about the paint out, click here. I will be painting out and about in Saint John on Saturday and Sunday. The paintings will be hung at the Saint John Art Center with an opening on Friday June 24 at 5:30 pm. I will post some of the paintings (I hope!) on Saturday or Sunday evening. Some of the areas that I would like to paint include the bridges crossing the Saint John River and the Old City Market. If you see me painting, please feel welcome to stop and say "Hi"

No comments:

Post a Comment